cname quick question

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Wed Mar 7 04:40:18 UTC 2001

As I've been trying to point out for many, many weeks now - despide being
trashed by the "nominum" crowd.

If CNAMEs are at the root of a zone, care *must be taken* to ensure that the
NS records at the root of a zone that contains a CNAME must match, exactly,
the NS records for the "parent".  IE: you can not use NS records for
"delegation" in a zone where there is a CNAME at the root, only for
"authority" or "glue".  This prevents the potential for ambiguity that such
a zone can cause - and will work with the current resolver algorithm.

        - Erik