Fw: nslookup - help.

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 6 19:35:52 UTC 2001

Yeah.
In my experience 'nslookup' by the vendor emulates their resolver code,
which
makes perfect sense to me.

Basically:
If the name, as entered, does not end in a dot (which signifies a FQDN),
then
the resolver code looks to "/etc/resolv.conf" for how to create a FQDN
from the
user input (partial) name.  If the name has fewer than a certain number
of dots
(usually configurable in "/etc/resolv.conf", as well), then it will
append, from
"/etc/resolv.conf", the "domain" name or *each* name of the "search"
list to the
input name and try that as a FQDN.  There are other attributes of the
algorithm,
as well, which can be found by a 'man 4 resolver' or something similar
(hopefully ' man -k resolv' will work on your system :).

So (as Jim likes to point out :), a large number of lookups can be
generated by
a mistyped name !!

The solution to your problem is simply to change the name of 'nslookup'
that is in /usr/local/bin (or wherever you installed it) to
'nslookup-bind'.
Then 'nslookup' still works for everyone as before and *you* know that
you can
use 'nslookup-bind', if you want to.  Of course, functionality for
support of
new record types or features is limited to what your vendor supports
(but, then,
you always have 'nslookup-bind' :) .

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511