Problems with DNS and A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Tue Mar 6 06:05:51 UTC 2001

> >This brings a question to mind.  If I registered somedomain.com and set
> >my name servers to be "www.somedomain.com", "somdomain.com", and
> >"mail.somedomain.com", why would I ever need to pay for my domain?  I
> >could get someone else to use my servers for DNS to insure that my glue
> >records remain.  I wouldn't have any MX records, but AFAIK most mail
> >server software will fall back to A records.
>
> The mail server (or the DNS server it uses) needs to get an
> *authoritative* answer saying no MX record exists before it will fall
> back to A records.

Really?  I would think that would cause all kinds of problems.  First
of all, NODATA responses are cached by newer name servers, but
there's no "auth-nodata" substatement like there is "auth-nxdomain,"
so you can't configure a BIND name server to claim that a cached
NODATA response is authoritative.  And the resolver's AAONLY
option was never implemented, so the resolver can't insist on receiving
an authoritative NODATA response.

cricket