Canonical Domain Names Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 6 01:36:55 UTC 2001

How much "easier" do you need it to be? If the data in both zones is
*identical*, relative to the domain origin, then perhaps you could make
things slightly easier by using the same zonefile for both zones -- just
make sure to use unqualified/relative labels for names *under* the
domain, and "@" for the domain itself.

As for the forward/reverse issue, it shouldn't be a problem to have
multiple names pointing to 1 IP address and only 1 PTR pointing back to
one of those names. Just about everything that cares about reverse
lookups starts with the address, reverse-maps it back to a name, and then
checks that that name forward-maps to the address it started with. So
multiple-A's-to-1-IP-and-1-PTR-to-1-A work fine.

www.ibms.nl and www.hes-rdam.nl are both aliases to charlie.eur.nl, which
has a matching reverse record, so why are you worried about
forward/reverse mismatches anyway?

- Kevin