reverse zone : 'dont know how to ..'

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 5 23:48:35 UTC 2001

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Do you want the
reverse lookups to return the *real* names, or the bogus "extern.local" names
that you have created? If you want the reverse lookups to return the real
names, then you would somehow need to force your nameserver to ask the
authoritative nameservers for the appropriate reverse zones (using stub zones
or "type forward" zones or something). If you want the forward and reverse to
match, i.e. for the reverse lookups to return "extern.local" names, then the
only thing I can think of is to configure each name as a separate zone,
containing just a PTR. But that would be painful to maintain.

Why don't you just use the *real* names of the servers? These "shortcuts" are
likely to be difficult to maintain, and will constantly break every time
someone changes server addresses. Just think how inefficient DNS would be if
*everyone* duplicated all of the names of external machines they frequently
access in "private" domains.

- Kevin