Question on documentation (TTL or not TTL, that is the question....)

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sun Mar 4 17:58:04 UTC 2001

David Tonhofer wrote:

> Question on documentation....
>
> I've been reading DNS&BIND 3rd edition (I understand the 4th is not yet off
> the presses). There seems to be a bit of a clash in the SOA record
> definition.
> Did it change from BIND8 to BIND9 (can't imagine)?
>
> On p.90 the Book says that the last value in the SOA record is the 'minimum
> TTL'
> which is described as the minimum time a record lives in a caching server's
> cache (which is also what http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt says)

[SNIP]

You will want to review rfc2308, Negative Caching of DNS Queries (DNS
NCACHE), which updates 1034 and 1035.

Your observation about the comments in Slave BIND 9 name servers created
database files, suggest that a note/patch to the namedroppers list might
be in order.

I suspect that the comment is just an oversight.

Regards,
Jim