Problems with DNS and A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Sat Mar 3 23:56:07 UTC 2001

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 05:15:23PM -0500, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> > Network Solutions is holding the domain for lack of payment,
> > so it's been pulled from the root servers.
>
> Yes; so it's not in the COM zone. If I ask A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET for
> alsdjflksjdfirhasdjfasdjkfhkusfdh.com (a domain also not in the COM
> zone) I get a response with NXDOMAIN. Why does traster.com produce a
> NOERROR response?

There could be another domain name *under* traster.com in the
com zone, such as a glue address record for ns1.traster.com.  So
the traster.com node would exist, but would have no RRs associated
with it.

cricket