does AD need to have any DNS functionality?

Farid Hamjavar hamjavar at unm.edu
Sat Mar 3 04:03:43 UTC 2001

Last year we created a  small  test  bed  with  several
systems trying to see if we can install AD on a win2k.

We're still not anywhere meaningful!  I  have  a  basic
question.   Our goal is to bring up a win2k box with AD
functionality.  Just because we want to  have  a  win2k
box  with AD functionality does it mean that this win2k
box needs to have  DNS  functionality  itself  (at  any
level)?

Can anyone confirm that answer is no so we go ahead and
wipe the DNS off that win2k.

Or if on the other hand, the answer is yes, can  anyone
please  confirm  that win2k box we like to configure to
have AD functionality needs to be  a  DNS  server  i.e.
that  we  need  to  allocate  a classC or a subset of a
classC for this win2k box to be a DNS server for?

Thanks, Farid
UNM