newbie question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 2 03:16:42 UTC 2001

First of all, you need 2 nameservers to run a domain. You said you had only 1
address. Is your ISP going to run a slave then?

You can call your nameservers anything you want, as long as at some point
those names are known to DNS (i.e. they have A records). Generally, folks will
give nameservers names in domains that they control. In that case, just add
those names to the zonefile for the domain. And don't worry about the names of
the nameservers being in the domain you're registering, since there are
so-called "glue records" which take care of the chicken-and-egg aspect of
this. That's why the registrars ask for both the names *and* the addresses of
the nameservers, because sometimes the name itself isn't enough.

Moreover, if you're registering in a gTLD (generic top-level domain) like com,
net or org, you don't even need to have a running nameserver before
registering the domain, since the registrars don't check that. Some of the
ccTLD (country-code top-level domain) registries are more strict about this,
though, and, besides, it's a little rude to register a domain and not have any
nameservers running for it, since that will cause query failures and/or
timeouts for other nameservers trying to look up names in the domain.

- Kevin