Root hints not working

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 2 02:29:55 UTC 2001

That hints file is pretty bogus -- A records but no NS records.

On the other hand, that shouldn't really matter if your forwarders are
working. Are they?

If you have firewall filters between you and your forwarders and/or
between you and the Internet, they may have to be adjusted. BIND 8 and 9
use unprivileged ports for outgoing queries, whereas BIND 4 always used
port 53. The preferred method of dealing with this is to adjust the
filters, but if for some extraterrestrial reason that is not feasible,
you could kludge it using the "query-source" option to force named to use
port 53.

(I assume you're chroot()'ed here, otherwise how do you expect named to
find the files under /var/named, which isn't mentioned anywhere in your
config?)

- Kevin