cname quick question

Tal Dayan tal at zapta.com
Thu Mar 1 00:14:54 UTC 2001

Hi Jim

Thanks for clarifying your point.

On the need side, I respectfully disagree with you that CNAME records are a
'stupid but unnecessary trick'. Luckily enough, the Founding Fathers of DNS
did recognize the usefulness of aliasing and provided us with CNAME records.

As for the solution side, I understand that you already gave up on finding a
creative solution that will remove the singular restriction of 'no CNAME for
an host whose name is the domain itself' that will be fully compatible with
existing DNS servers.

I hope that other DNS gurus on this list will take this not as an attack on
a great software which BIND is but as an intellectual challenge to provide
DNS users around the world with an even better tool.

Tal