Forced Resolution

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 28 19:24:43 UTC 2001

In article <9hfhlg$ss at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Wade Grant <wgrant at mde.k12.ms.us> wrote:
>I have a problem with a site the needs to be corrected.
>I run a split DNS and would like to resolve internal clients to an
>internal IP for a host domain that I am not authoritative for.
>Is this possible without having to load the zone on my internal DNS?
>How?

You can make your server authoritative for just that hostname.  In
named.conf add:

zone "hostname.domain.com" {
  type master;
  file "db.hostname.domain.com";
}

Then db.hostname.domain.com would contain:

@ IN SOA yourserver.yourdomain.com. hostmaster.yourserver.yourdomain.com. (
         ... ) ; the usual SOA parameters
  IN NS  yourserver.yourdomain.com.
  IN A   <internal-ip>

For the rest of the domain it will continue to query the public DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA