MX Record/DNS help needed

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Thu Jun 28 19:11:09 UTC 2001

>nextproteins.com.               IN NS
>webserver.nextproteins.com.

the preceding line is illegal, there´s no rtype or rdata fields

Here are your delegation records from the .com parent:

mgw1# dig @a.gtld-servers.net nextproteins.com ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net nextproteins.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      nextproteins.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
nextproteins.com.       2D IN NS        REAP.SOULINJECTION.com.
nextproteins.com.       2D IN NS        WEBSERVER.nextproteins.com.

>nextproteins.com.               IN MX 0

the preceding line is illegal, there´s no rdata field

>exchange.nextproteins.com.

the preceding line is illegal, there´s no rtype or rdata fields

>localhost.nextproteins.com.     IN A            127.0.0.1
>nextproteins.com.               IN A            204.216.133.114
>webserver.nextproteins.com.     IN A            204.216.133.114
>exchange.nextproteins.com.      IN A            204.216.224.18
>
>www.nextproteins.com.           IN CNAME

the preceding line is illegal, there´s no rdata field

>webserver.nextproteins.com.

the preceding line is illegal, there´s no rtype or rdata fields

>----------------------
>
>The question I have in particular is the IN NS line... until yesterday,
>this server had been configured with the wrong nameservers

it still is, the delegation data is not reflected in the zone data

>, which are
>ns1.cts.com and ns2.cts.com

no, that´s not the delegation, my dig command above

>  (the ISP that provided the colocation).
>What would this do to incoming emails?  Would they work?

I don´t think so, there´s no MX record:

mgw1# dig @a.gtld-servers.net nextproteins.com mx

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net nextproteins.com mx
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      nextproteins.com, type = MX, class = IN

so the mail would go to the A record for nextproteins.com

>Also, why the heck is the NS webserver.nextproteins.com?  Should it not
>be ns1.cts.com and/or ns2.cts.com?
>And finally, whatever the correct nameserver is, can I use IP Address
>instead of the name?
>
>Any hints or info are appreciated!

info is above;

hint is:  your zone data and delegation is a mess.  :)))

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways