BIND sometimes doesnt return additional recs when querying SOA ?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jun 27 23:57:26 UTC 2001

In article <9hdm7m$j5j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Anthony Golia  <Anthony.Golia at morganstanley.com> wrote:

>Hi.  I have a BIND 8.2.3 internal DNS server authoritive for
>mydomain.com (e.g.) and when I query SOA for mydomain.com it returns
>additional recs like NS and A rec.  but If I query a subdomain it doesnt
>return the A/NS recs.

The Authority and Additional sections are only filled in for data
referenced in the Answer section.  When you query for the SOA record of a
subdomain, there isn't anything in the Answer section.

>I'm interested in this 'cause Win2K seems to be choking on it.  I have
>stub zones for _msdcs.mydomain.com, etc. and Win2K machines are querying
>SOA for subdomains of mydomain.com and BIND isnt returning the
>additional recs for 'em.  FYI: if I query a Win2K DNS server for
>subdomains of a domain it's auth for (even one that doesnt exist) it
>returns the additional recs.  Any response is appreciated.

There's something wrong with these clients, then.  Putting data in the
Authority and Additional sections is merely a convenience, it's not
required.  It saves the client from having to do a separate query for that
data, but if it's not there they can always do so.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA