Setting up a backup DNS also used by local users

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 27 23:22:50 UTC 2001

If both nameservers are in the NS records for your zone, then
*both* nameservers will get sent queries for your zone, and therefore you have
no control over whether a client goes to your "primary" webserver or your
"backup" webserver. You can't implement "primary/fallback" reliably in this way
(unless you happen to control *all* of the nameservers which could possibly be
caching answers for queries in your domain, which I assume you don't).

Mirror your website to both locations and then it won't matter which website a
client goes to.

Or, a more expensive solution is to buy a commercial product which will
frontend both webservers behind a single IP address.

- Kevin