tld access and catchall

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 27 23:11:35 UTC 2001

Mario Lipinski wrote:

> hi ng.
>
> 1. is there a way to configure bind so thats possible to access a server by
> the top level domain.
>
> for example:
>
> i have running a name server  an its no problem to access the server via a
> second or third-level-domain
>
> www.lan or test.www.lan
>
> but its not possible for me to create an entry for lan

Why not? Don't you have a "lan" zone defined in your nameserver? Just put an A
record in that zone.

> 2. i want to setup the one server so that every domain for which there is no
> entry can be accessed via www1.lan, www2.lan, www3.lan, server.lan whithout
> making an entry for each second level domain. but if there were an entry
> this should be used.

It's not clear what you want here. If you want all "unknown" names to resolve
to a particular address, then use a wildcard entry in each relevant zone. But
the part that throws me is "accessed via www1.lan [etc.]". What does that
mean? If a name is unknown, it's unknown; it's not "www1.lan" or anything else.
Do you mean, the client uses just a "www1" short name, and if there is no
"www1" entry in a second-level domain that short name should resolve
_as_if_it_were_ www1.lan? The only way I can think of to do this is to
configure searchlists in all of the resolver configurations -- put "lan" at the
end of the searchlist, so if the name isn't found in a subdomain, it'll try
querying {name}.lan directly. But searchlists are grossly inefficient. I'd
avoid them if at all possible.

- Kevin