Bind 9.1.1

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 26 22:25:21 UTC 2001

At 3:27 PM -0400 6/26/01, Howard D. Brenner wrote:

>  am looking for someone who can help me figure out what is wrong with my DNS.
>  I have tried many different itterations of config files and I am lost.

	If the zone is currently in service, tell us what the name is and
the IP address(es) of the server(s), and we can throw standard DNS
debugging tools at it like "doc" and "dnswalk".  If not, you'll need
to use the named-checkzone and named-checkconf programs that ship
with BIND 9.

	Oh, and if you're going to be using BIND 9, you should update to
at least BIND 9.1.2-REL, if not the latest release candidate for
9.1.3.

>                                                                          1
>  thing is that most of the books I have are for pre 9.x.

	Get fourth edition of _DNS and BIND_ by Paul Albitz and Cricket
Liu, published by O'Reilly & Assoc.  Do not settle for third edition,
which may still be on the shelves.

>                                                           I would also like
>  to find someone who may have a similar history to act as a mentor so to
>  speak via e-mail chat etc. while I transition to this great expanse called
>  Linux.

	Best thing to do here is searches of the archives of this mailing
list, as well as related Linux newsgroups & mailing lists.  You'll
learn the most from the broadest variety of people that way.

	Oh, and please don't use "NOSPAM" garbage in your return address.
The newsgroup you posted this message to is gatewayed to a mailing
list, and having this garbage in your address is anti-social and
makes it more difficult for people to reply to you with the kind of
information you've requested.

	Moreover, all address scanning tools I know of are intelligent
enough to remove all "NOSPAM" type tags I've ever seen, so it doesn't
do any good anyway.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */