DNS Redirect

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 26 21:52:20 UTC 2001

johnplut at hotmail.com wrote:

> "Mike West" <mwest at netnc.net> wrote in message news:<9h3jn5$894 at pub3.rc.vix.com>...
> > I'm wondering if this is possible and if so, how it would be configured.
> > Let's say you have a DNS server that is authoritative for a particular
> > zone.....something like whatever.com.  If that DNS server receives a request
> > to resolve something for whatever.com, rather than resolve it, point the
> > requester to another DNS server.  Basically, pass it off to another server.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Mike
>
> There is a way to do something like this. A server can be
> "Authoritative" for a zone, but be a secondary/slave to a different
> name server. So people would go to the first one to get resolved, but
> that server is asking a server you specify to get its info from.

No, it doesn't work that way at all. When you are a slave server, you periodically
refresh your copy of the zone and serve that data up directly up to clients. A slave
server doesn't send the query off to some other server to be resolved. What you seem
to be thinking of is "forwarding", but that doesn't work either since
nameserver-to-nameserver queries are typically non-recursive, and non-recursive
queries are never forwarded.

> You
> would need to set the TTL low as well.

TTL has no effect on how often a slave refreshes from the master.

- Kevin