Mac OS X

Waltner, Steve swaltner at lsil.com
Mon Jun 25 23:11:25 UTC 2001

I tried building it on my system and ran into two problems. Both of these
happened when attempting to compile BIND 9.1.1, 9.1.2, and 9.1.3rc2. The
first problem was the autoconf is out of date and doesn't support Darwin (ie
Mac OS X).

[localhost:~/bind-9.1.3rc2] swaltner% ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you
must specify one
[localhost:~/bind-9.1.3rc2] swaltner% cp /usr/libexec/config.* .
[localhost:~/bind-9.1.3rc2] swaltner% ./configure
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.3

As you can see, this is easily fixed by replacing the config.guess and
config.sub files from the BIND distribution with the ones that come with Mac
OS X. For most programs that have trouble compiling, this is the only change
that is necessary. The second problem is a filed link for the named
executable, with the following debug info:

cc -g -O2 -o named aclconf.o client.o interfacemgr.o listenlist.o log.o
logconf.o main.o notify.o omapi.o omapiconf.o query.o server.o sortlist.o
tkeyconf.o tsigconf.o update.o xfrout.o zoneconf.o lwaddr.o lwresd.o
lwdclient.o lwderror.o lwdgabn.o lwdgnba.o lwdgrbn.o lwdnoop.o lwsearch.o
unix/os.o ../../lib/lwres/liblwres.a ../../lib/omapi/libomapi.a
../../lib/dns/libdns.a   ../../lib/isc/libisc.a  -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_pthread_sigmask
make[2]: *** [named] Error 1
make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
make: *** [subdirs] Error 1
Since it gave an error on pthread, I tried a "./configure
--disable-threads" just now, and that compiled fine. So, it looks like the
threads implementation is broken for Darwin/Mac OS X. Please note that I did
not actually try to execute the binary, but just did the compile process.

Steve