named error messages in log file, how to fix?

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Sun Jun 24 23:53:50 UTC 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 zz at rockstone.com wrote:

>   The Win98 machine was configured that it solely rely on the RH 7.1
>   linux box for DNS, i.e. it has only ONE dns server entered:
>   192.168.1.254, and the fact that Win98 can do browsing, ping, telnet,
>   etc to any outside Internet hosts, indicates the Linux as
>   cache DNS server works ok for Win98 client. bind seems able to pass
>   querey packets to Win98 machine.

Yes.

>   If it is true Linux box won't be able to send resolve reply to port 137
>   of the Win98 box, then the Win98 box wouldn't be able to browse Internet
>   at all.

The fact that your win98 box sends queries from port 137 is an indication
that the machine does _next to standard dns queries_ also netbios-ns
queries. I can not imagine win98 sending standard queries from port
137 instead of >1023. If it does, I've learned something new today.

>   And this error messages in the log is not that frequent, only
>   few seconds to few minutes, and sometimes over 15min there is no error.
>   It appears this happens only when request a new domain name, as observe
>   a lagging on the Win98.   And usually in 10-15min, such error get
>   logged on the Linux box.
>   I am wondering if there is any mechanism or mis-configuration possibility.
>
>   If it is a firewall or ipchains blocking, then the Win98 wouldn't be
>   able to resolve any Internet host, right?
>   thank you.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum