resolv.conf

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 11:35:58 UTC 2001

Paul Vixie wrote:

> however, if you link your apps against the latest BIND resolver then they
> will start parsing the new options even if the system shared library's
> resolver doesn't understand them.

Great tip.

Presumably the goal is to avoid arbitarily long timeouts
when a nameserver is dead, but presumably you only control
the timeout for data for which the listed name server is
authoritive (or happens to have cached), otherwise we are at
the mercy of named timeouts (Which AFAIK aren't configurable
after compilation?!).

Presumably the same effect is achieved, but quicker, by
running a caching nameserver on the local box, and acting as
a secondary for any time critical zones.