Hosting Another Domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 22 20:57:16 UTC 2001

me at maicom.com.au wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> Here is my set up....
>
> Small ISP with permanent connection to the internet. Running Primary
> DNS, mail, www servers etc. Several dial up lines with ppp internet
> connections. One of my clients wishes to have permanent dial up access
> and his own domain name, I would be responsible for that domain as far
> as the network side goes. my domain is say...
>
> mydomain.com.au and he wants to get a hisdomain.org is it possible for
> me to have hisdomain.org connecting to the internet through
> mydomain.com.au. Could someone tell me if this is possible and how it
> would be done.

I'm not sure what you mean by "connecting to the internet through
{domain}". IP connections don't occur "through" domains -- DNS operates
at a higher level of the network stack than, say IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc.
so it is not involved in network routing. If you just want to host your
client's domain in addition to your own, then have multiple "type
master" zone definitions in your /etc/named.conf. If your client wants
you to do, say, mail relaying from your server to his server, then you'll
have to set that up in your mail server, but that's not DNS-specific.
Ditto for whatever other services/protocols your client wants you to deal
with.

-Kevin