rejected due to CNAME and OTHER data error

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jun 21 22:07:48 UTC 2001

    >> The errors are correct - you need to decide what you are doing
    >> with this zone, as the zone data that you have included below
    >> contradicts many BIND rules that BIND 8.2.3 enforces very
    >> strictly, and it's not clear what you are trying to do with
    >> that zone at all.

    Marten> I still don't understand, what's wrong with it?

Read RFC1034: "Domain Concepts and Facilities". It's a fundamental DNS
standard. I quote from section 3.6.2:

	If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
	present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and
	its aliases cannot be different.

So if a name already exists as some record type -- like SOA or NS --
it cannot exist as a CNAME. Is that clear enough for you?