SV: BIND 9.1.2 and TinyDNS???

Matt Simerson mpsimerson at hostpro.com
Thu Jun 21 20:48:56 UTC 2001

Yup. I agree 100%.

> I think your criticisms of BIND 9's memory management are a little
premature,
> since graceful-handling-of-out-of-resource-conditions is on the
upcoming-feature
> list. When it's done, you may find that it is actually comparable to or
superior
> to that of tinydns.
>
> - Kevin

I don't think it's premature at all. I did lots of testing over the last
couple months and BIND 9 crashes in exactly the same way as BIND 8 does when
I run it out of memory. Having it on the feature list doesn't make it work
any better today and that's the state I can test against. If the BIND 9 code
was bearing (as it should) designations like version 9.0.0b38 then that
argument could certainly be understandable. However, it's bearing release
numbers and I don't think it's unfair or premature to treat it as such.

Matt