is this good

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Thu Jun 21 07:28:32 UTC 2001

>options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb";
>
>//      dump-file "/etc/named/named_dump.db";
>
>         forwarders {
>                 212.83.68.130;
>                 194.109.6.66;
>                 213.207.16.2;
>                 };

do you understand your need to do forwarding?

>         recursion yes;  //change to allow-recursion {ip_list;};
          fetch-glue no;
          used-id-pool yes;

>};

paste this logging statement in for your startup debugging phase:

logging{
channel my_file {file "/var/log/named.run"; severity debug; print-time yes; };
category default {my_file;};
category panic {my_file;};
category packet {my_file;};
category eventlib {my_file;};
category queries {my_file;};
category lame-servers {null;};
category cname {null;};
};

>zone "future2005.com" {
>         notify no;

what´s your reason for no NOTIFY?

>@       IN      SOA     dns1.future2005.com. frank.future2005.com.(
>                                 1       ; Serial ; Increment by one after
>every change
>                                 36000    ; Refresh every hour
>                                 1000     ; Retry every 15 minutes
>                                 3600000 ; Expire 1000 hours 5w6d16h
>                                 3600 )  ; Minimum 1 hour

the preceding  number is maximum negative cache TTL

>         IN      NS      dns1.future2005.com.
>         IN      NS      www2.future2005.com.

no MX records?
no A records?

the following typically go in the your db.reversezone file´s, not in your
forward zone file

>1       IN      PTR     dns1.future2005.com.
>2       IN      PTR     www2.future2005.com.
>3       IN      PTR     gateway.future2005.com.
>
>(these are my dns and www servers)

they will be inaccessible with no A records

simplify the text by dropping the IN network class, it´s the default.

Len