problems with reverse mapping

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 18 21:42:50 UTC 2001

Andreas Müller wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I can't use reverse mapping in my actual installation of bind 8.2.3.
>
> I've installed bind 8.2.3 as forwarder to the dns server of our provider.
> We use the DNS intern for the LAN and Extern in our DMZ were the webserver
> are in.
>
> Could there be problems with forwarders and reverse mapping?

A reverse zone really isn't any different than any other zone, so forwarding
should work fine for it.

But, does your provider host the reverse zone? Do *you* host the reverse zone?
Who hosts the reverse zone? If you're hosting it, then your nameserver
shouldn't ever need to forward any queries for those reverse records, so
forwarding is a non-issue.

> The zone files
> for our internal LAN are set. For The Extern Address, should the zone files
> from the provider dns be used. Or is that false?

That depends on how big your network address space is and how flexible your
provider is with respect to delegation. If you have a /24 or larger (I'm
assuming you don't have a /16 or larger), then your provider can easily
delegate those separate /24's as zones to your nameservers. If you have less
than a /24, then it's more difficult. Either your provider will have to
delegate each address as a zone by itself, create aliases in their /24 to
reverse records in a zone you control (see RFC 2317), or not delegate at all,
in which case they'll have to maintain those entries themselves, whenever you
request changes.

- Kevin