Delagation woes!

Pelletier, Michael Michael.Pelletier at sycamorenet.com
Mon Jun 18 21:16:34 UTC 2001

My ISP has two secondary DNS servers. My company is the primary. Doing a
reverse lookup of my DNS server works when querying the secondaries.
However, When I query my primary directly, it can not resolve it's own IP
address:

x.y.z.1                                   ==> My DNS server's (substituted)
IP address
MyServer.MyDomain.com        ==> My DNS Server's (substituted) name

Here is the debugged output. Please note the "(name truncated?)" message at
the bottom...

Default Server:  MyServer.MyDomain.com
Address:  x.y.z.1

> x.y.z.1 (my DNS server's IP)
Server:  MyServer.MyDomain.com
Address:  x.y.z.1 (my DNS server's IP)

;; res_mkquery(0, 1.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa, 1, 12)
------------
SendRequest(), len 43
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 41377, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  query, want recursion
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        1.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

------------
------------
Got answer (133 bytes):
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 41377, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 1,  additional = 1

    QUESTIONS:
        1.z.y.x.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  (name truncated?)
***  MyServer.MyDomain.com can't find x.y.z.1 : Unspecified error

Please help!!!!