Tracking all RRsets for a given host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 15 23:41:16 UTC 2001

Yes, PTR records are, technically speaking, just a way of mapping one
name to another, syntactically identical to CNAME records, but without
the aliasing functionality. Any time names in DNS need to be arbitrarily
associated or linked with one another, one should consider PTRs for the
job. Reverse DNS is merely the most *common* application of this
linking/association between DNS names. A couple of advantages that
PTR records have over, say, TXT records is that their RDATAs can benefit
from label compression and a certain amount of "free" syntactical
validation from named (if you mess up the contents of a TXT record, named
isn't going to catch that).

- Kevin