Tracking all RRsets for a given host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 15 19:58:11 UTC 2001

Why don't you just put PTR records in the *forward* zone, for each
interface-specific name, specifying the "parent" name to which it
belongs? I.e.

    somehost-le0        IN      A       192.168.1.1
                                    IN      PTR   somehost
    somehost-qfe0       IN      A       192.168.2.2
                                      IN      PTR   somehost
    somehost-qfe1       IN      A       192.168.3.3
                                      IN      PTR   somehost
    somehost            IN      A       192.168.1.1
                        IN      A       192.168.2.2
                        IN      A       192.168.3.3

Your programs would then just operate under the logic of "a PTR in the
forward zone designates the parent node". If you want to make it a little
more comprehensible, you could adopt some "friendly" convention like putting
a "parent" label in front of the name, e.g. parent.somehost-le0 could
resolve to somehost.

It's just as many PTRs overall, and it wouldn't clutter up your reverse
lookups or create any RR-ordering issues.

There's no rule that says PTRs can only appear in reverse zones.

- Kevin