How do i check a chrooted bind

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Fri Jun 15 12:02:03 UTC 2001

I guess the the only way to check it is by testing all the functionality.
Does it start? Does it query the roots correctly? Does it transfer in any
zones its slaving?  Does it respond when queried? Does it forward/recurse
OK?  Does it generate/accept notifies?  Does it accept updates?  Do the
logs get ceated?  Can the slaves write zonefiles to disk?  Does ndc/rndc
work OK? etc etc.  You don't need much data, only small amounts
representative of the things you do. e.g. don't test updates if you're not
going to use them, no point testing slave configurations if you will only
use masters.
I'm running BIND 8 and although my chrooted servers would transfer out OK,
I discovered at the last moment that they would not transfer in.  I had put
named-xfer in the wrong directory and it simply wasn't  found.  I also
found that I needed more libraries than had been apparent at first.
Rgds
Marc TXK
The views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of
the organisation providing the mail address from which this message was
sent

                    "Hugo F.
                    Martinez"              To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    <hmartinez at cti.        cc:
                    com.ar>                Subject:     How do i check a chrooted bind
                    Sent by:
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    13/06/2001
                    23:42

Hi:
    Does anybody know a way to fully check a chrooted implementation of
bind?

Thanks