Unexplainable Problem with Upgrade 8.2.3-REL to 9.1.2

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jun 14 15:46:23 UTC 2001

We saw a strange problem with BIND.  We have had no problems
resolving names in the domain

     ser.aps.anl.gov

until last night.  This morning I called the hostmaster of the

     aps.anl.gov

domain, and he told me that the

     ser.aps.anl.gov

domain has always been in its own zone file.  The only change made
yesterday at that DNS server was to upgrade from 8.2.3-REL to 9.1.2;
the claim is that there were no zone data files updated.  I cannot
see how the BIND upgrade could have caused this problem.  Does anyone
(who is more familiar with BIND 8 than I) have any comments?

I solved the problem by adding

     ser.aps.anl.gov

as a new zone on my BIND 8.2.3-REL slaves.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov