Is This A DNS or MX Problem?

Allie Syadiqin allie at time.net.my
Thu Jun 14 05:51:02 UTC 2001

Hi,
     I need some help on this MX thing. Basically, I am not knowledgeable
in DNS configuration. In other words, I'm a newbie, so  any help will be
greatly appreciated. Please provide step-by-step instructions if possible.
Thanks.

I created a virtual namebased domain, hydroseis.com and basically all other
services, eg. ftp, http, works fine. But when I tried to send a test email
to abc123 at hydroseis.com, I received the following message :-

This is a delivery status notification from mail.vserver.com.my,
running the Courier mail server, version 0.28.

UNDELIVERABLE MAIL
Your message to the following recipients cannot be delivered:
<abc123 at hydroseis.com>:
<<< configuration error: mail loops back to myself (MX problem).

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.vserver.com.my
Arrival-Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:07:11 +0800
Received-From-MTA: dns; puyu.time.net.my (pop.time.net.my [203.121.16.80])
Final-Recipient: rfc822; mail.hydroseis.com-abc123 at mail.vserver.com.my
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: unknown; configuration error: mail loops back to myself
(MX problem).

Here's a copy of the DNS configuration file, which was created by the
web-based control panel when adding virtual domain to the dns server.
hydroseis.com was created when I created the virtual domain while 65.5.202
was created when I installed the OS the first time using installation setup.

; Filename : hydroseis.com - Created by RNA (Remote Network Administrator)

@               IN      SOA     	ns1.vserver.com.my.  root.vserver.com.my. (
                                 		2001000000      	; serial (change me!)
                                 		21600           	; refresh (6 hours)
                                 		3600            	; retry (1 hour)
                                 		604800          	; expire (7 days)
                                 		3600 )          	; minimum (1 hour)
                                 		IN      NS      	ns1.vserver.com.my.
                                 		IN      NS      	ns2.vserver.com.my.
                                 		IN      MX      	10 mail.vserver.com.my.

; Host information for hydroseis.com.
hydroseis.com.                  	IN      A        	202.5.65.68
                                 		IN      MX       	10 mail.vserver.com.my.
ftp                             		IN      CNAME  	hydroseis.com.
webmail                         	IN      CNAME   hydroseis.com.
www                             	IN      CNAME   hydroseis.com.

; filename : 65.5.202 - Created by RNA (Remote Network Administrator)

@               IN      SOA     	65.5.202.in-addr.arpa.  root.vserver.com.my. (
                                 		2000100006      	; serial (change me!)
                                 		21600           	; refresh (6 hours)
                                 		3600            	; retry (1 hour)
                                 		604800          	; expire (7 days)
                                 		3600 )          	; minimum (1 hour)
                                 		IN      NS      	ns1.vserver.com.my.
                                 		IN      NS      	ns2.vserver.com.my.
66                              		IN      PTR     	ns1.vserver.com.my.
67                              		IN      PTR     	ns2.vserver.com.my.