What is this all about???

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 12 22:27:06 UTC 2001

Well, this is partly a BIND bug and partly just nslookup's suckiness. When receiving an authoritative response to a query, nslookup
normally reports the contents of the Authority Section with "nameserver =" lines. However, it uses *exactly*the*same* output format when
reporting NS records in the Answer Section of the response, and it gives no indication of what section the information comes from. So when
a nameserver reports NS records in the Answer Section, as is common for ANY queries, and the same NS records in the Authority Section, you
get two identically-appearing sets of lines. When the response is non-authoritative, at least nslookup prefaces the Authority Section
output with "Authoritative answers can be found from:", so at least there's a chance of figuring out what it's doing.

The BIND bug consists of the fact that it should not be reporting the same RR more than once in the response, as per RFC 2181, Section 5.5.

- Kevin