nsupdate doesn't edit any files, right?

a a throwaway555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 17:13:45 UTC 2001

>The files are immediately written to non-volatile
storage and
>periodically dumped to the zonefile name. For
instance, on BIND 8, the
>changes are immediately written to a ".log" file. I'm
not 100% sure how
>BIND 9 manages things. Assuming no corruption of the
files, no disk
>errors, etc., no updates are lost.
>
>I'm always suspicious when people ask these types of
questions, though.
>When you migrate to using Dynamic Update, you should
no longer rely on
>using the disk files for finding out all information
about the zone: the
>running nameserver has the most up-to-date and
consistently-formatted
>view of the zone data, and you should be querying it
instead of trying
>to parse disk files.

Well, we're not trying to parse disk files.  The main
issue was that we want the changes to be persistent in
some way, otherwise it's kind of pointless, no?  We've
got web hosting appliance software (Ensim Webppliance)
that will let our customers order and create their own
virtual hosting site on the fly.

For this to be as hands-off as possible, we want to
automate the new DNS entries as the new sites are
created.  We have dedicated DNS servers and don't want
or need the appliances to do DNS.

Actually, does nsupdate allow you to add entire new
zones too, or do the zones have to exist on that DNS
server already?

Thanks!

-AA

>- Kevin
>
>a a wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This sounds like a total FAQ, but I've yet to see
>> anywhere that this question was answered
specifically.

>> When you use nsupdate, it only updates zone
>> information in the running database of BIND, and
does
>> not actually edit any zone files, right?  I've
tested
>> nsupdate successfully, and I see that the DNS
server
>> resolves my new entries, but no files have been
>> touched.
>>
>> So if you had to restart DNS all updates via
nsupdate