Server Lookup Timeouts

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Tue Jun 12 16:07:21 UTC 2001

This is BIND default behaviour, the timeout being compiled in but is
probably changeable on a hashdefine.  However, the server will return
SERVFAIL, not NXDOMAIN and you will have to check out what a resolver and
another server will do with a SERVFAIL.  I seem to remember that most of
them ignore it entirely but I could be wrong.
Returning NXDOMAIN on a timeout would be totally wrong.
Marc TXK
The views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of
the organisation providing the mail address from which this message was
sent

                    "Shon Stephens"
                    <sstephens at corp.goam        To:     "Bind Mail List" <bind-users at isc.org>
                    erica.net>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Server Lookup Timeouts
                    bind-users-bounce at is
                    c.org

                    12/06/2001 16:45
                    Please respond to
                    "Shon Stephens"

I need to know if I can set a timeout value for lookups. Basically, if is
recieved by one of my servers for a record that is not in any domains it
serves data for, it sends the request to one it thinks is. The server will
wait for an answer, cache the answer, and send it to the client. I want to
change it so if named doesn't get an answer within a certain time period,
it will tell the client that it can't answer the query.

Thanks,
Shon