tcp limitations

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 15:06:54 UTC 2001

Guy Pazi wrote:

> I understood from my ISP's tech-support that
> concurrent tcp queries are limited, but I couldn't get a figure from them.
> Can a name server operate in a certain capacity over tcp?

I suspect the OS/TCP stack will limit you more than named.
The code handling sockets in BIND 9 is far too complex for
my meagre brain to decipher quickly (apart from the bit
where it calls socket *8-)

I know zone transfers and the other "normal" BIND uses of
TCP are limited, but I assume that is because of other
issues.

BIND 9 has "tcp_clients" parameter user configurable and
defaults to 100.

But as Jim has indicated, your doing something pretty
unusual, and should consider yourself lucky if you don't hit
some weird problems. Fortunately issues around concurrent
TCP connections are pretty well studied.