tcp limitations

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Tue Jun 12 14:53:06 UTC 2001

% Jim,
% I appreciate your honesty, and I'm already much aware of the problems I'll
% be facing. this includes administrative, higher traffic volume, 3-hand-shake
% latency, future adaptions and all kind of other monsters out there.
% I appreciate your concern, and I understand your outrage, but these are my
% problems, it will effect no one but my company, so I'm not sure why you keep
% preaching me.
% My answer wasn't if this configuration make sense, as you have no idea of
% the other restrictions I'm facing. I was searching for an answer to a
% specific question: "what is the down scale between a name server's
% capabilities to handle dns queries over tcp instead of over udp". If you
% know the answer or can estimate it, I'll appreciate your help. Your
% disapproval of my configuration was already understood.
%
% Guy

Guy,
	I think that you have heard from some competent folks that it is
	very difficult to guage or estimate the performance impact of
	your proposed alternative. What you are proposing is so foreign
	to normal DNS behaviour that when you do establish this
	configuration, you will be exploring new ground. One impact
	will be the greatly reduced visability to large portions of
	the Internet, which use the UDP model for DNS tranactions.
	Apparently your organization is prepared to live with this
	restriction.  I would encourage you to proceed with the plan
	to use TCP only for DNS and document the issues that arise and
	solutions that present themselves and share these results
	with us.

--
--bill