sysquery: nslookup error on ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 11 21:51:28 UTC 2001

What do you get when you try to query something outside your authoritative
zones and delegated zones, e.g. using a bogus TLD, e.g. "foo.test"? I think
the error message indicates that the server has not "primed" properly, i.e.
has no good information about the root zone. If so, then such a query will
probably return SERVFAIL. Are you by any chance trying to use an Internet
root hints file on a machine without Internet connectivity?

- Kevin