What % is bind?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 10 20:49:56 UTC 2001

Adam Lang wrote:

> I need to rephrase a bit.
>
> As far as I know DNS is mandatory for Active Directory.  I am pretty sure
> you can use Active Directory with non MS DNS, but it takes additional
> finessing.

Interestingly Microsoft deployed their own ADS without the
ADS integrated DNS solution internally. I assume there
internal DNS was using a Microsoft DNS solution - but
probably at the time NT4 SP4 or later.

We were assured this was because of "management issues" at
the W2K launch, at which Microsoft also explained how to use
BIND with W2K, although they skipped the bit about
decommoditising protocols.

> In general, deployment and support will be easier if you use MS DNS/DHCP
> with Active Directory.

As I have suggested several time, people should also
consider directory services that don't do such bizarre
things to the DNS, and support open protocols, and use the
right protocols for the right purpose.

I'd accept deployment being easier, but I'm not sure about
support.

Historically tracking down issues with Microsoft DNS
solutions was pretty hideous, at NT4 you had to insert an
instrumented version of the executable to bring it's logging
up to the default level of BIND 4.x (i.e. It would barf on
things that BIND would just spit an error to syslog for and
carry on).

Knowing my dynamic DNS updates are lurking somewhere inside
ADS, and at the mercy of Microsoft's conflict resolution
scheme, and active directory replication.

--
Simon Waters
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?