What will break: "Non-authoritative answer"

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Jun 7 03:51:57 UTC 2001

	First of all, learn about human factors.  Justified text
	like that below is HARD to read.  If you want people to
	answer queries don't make it hard for them.

	I'm sure a lot of people on this list read half of the
	first paragraph and gave up.

	It doesn't matter about the applications.  Nameservers skip
	broken servers/zone and 99.999% of non local end user
	queries will be through nameservers that drop such answers.
	Locally it's not the non-authoratitive of answer that is
	the problem, applications expect to get answers from the
	cache.  What is a problem is that servers return SERVFAIL
	rather that NODATA/NXDOMAIN and this breaks things.

	Why are you worrying about this?  Just fix the broken
	zone/server and be done with it.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.