Simple problem is search of a simple solution

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at monkeys.com
Wed Jun 6 22:42:52 UTC 2001

In message <3B1EAACA.90A677A0 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>u wrote:

>Neither the DNS protocol nor BIND supports automatic slaving currently.

Thank you for confirming what my own, very limited research, had already
indicated.

>However, it would only be a minor protocol change to allow NOTIFYs to be
>cryptographically signed. If NOTIFYs could be trusted, then I don't see any
>reason why they couldn't be used to trigger automatic slave creation.

Well, yea.  It's that last part that is of most concern to me at the moment...
the ``automatic slave creation'' part.  We can't even do that (with the
existing protocol) at the moment. :-(  That a showstopper right there,
so I'm not even thinking about security issues.  That's secondary.  I
can't even do what I want _at all_ right now, so I'm not worrying about
how to do it securely.

>In the meantime, plenty of folks have cobbled together solutions to this
>problem. One common method is to have some sort of "zone list" in DNS,
>composed of TXT or PTR records. The would-be slaves check that list
>periodically and start/stop slaving zones as necessary.

Uggg.  Sounds like unnecessary complexity.

I think that I would rather just rdist or tftp a named.conf include file
out to all of the slaves whenever there is a change in the master copy (of
that named.conf include files) on the master server.  Then I have to work
out how to kick the slaves, and get them to each do a named.reload right
after they each get their (updated) copies.

It really is rather a pity that BIND can't do this sort of stuff all on
its own, instead of me having to kludge this together.  That would be a
lot nicer.

>... A more radical approach is to not use AXFR/IXFR for
>master/slave replication at all. Use something like rsync-over-ssh to
>replicate the zonefiles...

Thanks, but at this point, I'm not even sure that I care about moving
zonefiles around.  I _may_ perhaps just want to configure all of the
slaves to forward queries for the relevant zones to some other place,
in which case there aren't even any zonefiles anyway.

Basically, I just want to get a hunk of named.conf stuff from point A
to points B, C, D, and E every time the hunk changes on A.

>Note that even if NOTIFYs *cannot* currently be trusted...

Like I say, I'll worry about the security issues later on.

For now, what I wish I had is something rather different from a
traditional NOTIFY.  Instead of saying ``Hey!  Here is a new copy of an
zone!'' I want server A to say to servers B, C, D, and E ``Hey!  Here is
a new copy of _just_ the configuration file stuff for a BRAND NEW zone
that you have never heard of before.''

I wish BIND already had this.
:-(