Correct Ports?

Josh Littlefield joshl at cisco.com
Wed Jun 6 20:22:52 UTC 2001

One reason this is a bad idea is that it doesn't account for the firewall
behavior of people querying you.  For example, if an enterprise server is
sending from port 53, but is behind a Cisco PIX firewall which is doing
NAT/PAT, the source port will be mapped to another port < 1024.  You will
reject this packet, and that enterprise will be unable to resolve names in
your zone.  This happens more than you might imagine.