DDNS on bind how to activate?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 6 20:10:20 UTC 2001

The Entitty wrote:

> Hello Dns Group:
>
> How do I determine if the bind 8.2.4 has the ddns activated.

grep allow-update /etc/named.conf

> If not how do I activate it.

Add an "allow-update" to the relevant zone(s). Be aware, however, that once a
zone is enabled for Dynamic Update, it's no longer safe to update it manually.
So don't turn this on until and unless you are prepared to make *all* updates
to the zone using Dynamic Update. For this reason, people often opt to separate
their Dynamic-Update-enabled zones from their non-Dynamic-Update-enabled zones.

> I would like the win2k's ads to point to it for automatic
> updates.

Oh, ain't you got fun? If you go with the aforementioned separation plan, be
aware that AD uses only certain "underscored" domains for its SRV records (e.g.
_tcp, _udp, _sites, _msdcs). You could delegate those as subzones. For more
information on this approach,
seehttp://www.nominum.com/resources/faqs/bind-faqs.html#w2k. See the Microsoft
documentation for a full listing of which "underscored" domains AD needs to
update dynamically.

- Kevin