How to redirect port 80 to 81 for a domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 5 20:47:44 UTC 2001

This isn't possible to do with just DNS until browsers start using
SRV records. Until then, the most that DNS can do here is map a name to
an address, not a name to an address+port. You'd probably be better off
configuring name-based virtual hosting in your webserver and/or having
the webserver on port 80 redirect to a port 81 URL.

- Kevin