multiple A records for the same host

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 5 13:48:03 UTC 2001

At 1:19 AM -0700 6/5/01, Chris Buxton wrote:

>  - There is some Perl-based system somewhere (I believe it's freeware)
>  that works with Bind. I know no other details, including where to
>  find it. Perhaps someone else on the list knows.

	The program is called "lbnamed.pl", and a web search should turn it up.

>  - There are dedicated DNS servers (little router-like boxes) that do
>  a fine job of this. You'd delegate www as a subdomain to the box.
>  Depending on your budget, the price of such things may be a problem.

	There are also layer 4 load balancing switches.  You don't
delegate anything to them, you instead list their IP address as that
of your web server, and they are then responsible for taking those
incoming connections and distributing them across the back-end
machines which you have configured.

	You can easily bring up new servers and smoothly slide them into
production without having to worry about updating the DNS, you can
bring servers out of production (for maintenance) without having to
update the DNS, you can have various different size servers handling
different percentages of the load, etc....

	Good stuff.  Highly recommended.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */