unable to send mail from internal mail server to a hotmail or yahoo address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 4 22:07:26 UTC 2001

What is your mail infrastructure? Are your clients sending *directly* to
your Internet-connected mail relay? If so, then how is that mail relay
configured? Is it even configured to use DNS for mail routing? On the
other hand, if your internal clients are configured to send mail to an
internal mail relay, how is *it* configured? Is it configured to use
DNS for mail routing (presumably from an internal root since external
domains aren't being found)? In that case, you may need to add wildcard
MX entries into your internal root for the DNS-based routing to work
properly. Alternatively, configure your internal mail relay to *not* use
DNS for mail routing and to just "punt" all external mail to the
Internet-connected relay.

- Kevin