problems with slave after upgrade.

Charles Bodley Bodley at tflogic.com
Mon Jun 4 20:04:16 UTC 2001

$Starting named: /usr/local/sbin/named: -u not supported on Linux kernels
older than 2.3.99-pre3 when using threads
[FAILED]
I would run as named if I could. I was with the old version.

> I was getting timeouts as well before I figured out it was the
> firewall. You have to allow TCP traffic both originating from and
> destined for port 53 for at least whatever machines you want to be
> able to do zone transfers with. Does your firewall permit that?

Both boxes are in front of the firwall so that should not be an issue.

> "And it still gives permission denied when updating a zone" - this is
> a very vague phrasing. Updating? That is controlled by allow-update{},
> so I'd add the IP address of the machine there and see what happens.

Is this the correct syntax for a slave? Can't find named.conf man page for
bind 9.
zone "cincynet.com" {
        type slave;
        file "db.cincynet_com";
        allow-update yes;

{
                216.143.228.100;
        };
};
Did not have the allow update line in there before. When I added it bind failed to start. Is there something I'm missing? By updating I mean I changed ns1 and restarted but ns2 produced errors when it tried to accept the changes.

Thanks again for all your help.