newbie: win2k using cached DNS even after cache flushing

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 02:11:42 UTC 2001

Firstly, this is an M$ windows question and very newbie-ish, but I thought
that since it is DNS related and making testing of my BIND installation a
pain, this would be the best forum in which to ask.

I've set up a basic BIND 9.1.2 on a RH 7.1 box and so far it working well.
However I try and test it using my windows 2000 box (since that is what the
clients will be using) and keeps getting frustrated. It seems that either
win2k or IE5.1 is keeping a cached copy of DNS lookups and I can find out
how to flush it!

I know this is a win2k/IE problem because even after I shutdown named, the
names are still being resolved to their correct IPs. I've cleared the IE
file cache, run an ipconfig /flushdns command and even rebooted but whenever
I typ in HTTP://intranet into my IE I get a quick message in the information
bar saying "Connecting to site: 192.168.0.2" ... so the name is being
resolved ... but where is this resolv info coming from and how can I clear
it?

This is annoying because even if I change the DNS server's entry for
intranet, or even change the IP of the DNS server, I can't be sure it's
working since win2k/IE seem bent on using this cached info.

Help!

Jc