one short question

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sat Jun 2 01:31:35 UTC 2001

At 8:49 PM -0400 6/1/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>  Well, my post was mostly in jest,

	As was my original response.  Actually, I got a bit of a kick
throwing around numbers like that, and being reasonably confident
that I actually got them right.

>                                    but just for record, the original poster
>  did, after all, specifically ask how to get all of the A records in a zone
>  (thereby rendering irrelevant CNAMEs and IPv6 address records).

	Technically, the original question was "how can I query all the
IN A  which are in a zone", but since this doesn't quite make sense,
we all interpret (or misinterpret, perhaps with glee ;-) this
question in our own way.

>                                                                   Multiple
>  A records can point to the same address, true, but my (facetious) assumption
>  was that every A record had a corresponding PTR record:

	Do you mean that multiple names could point to the same A record?
If so, yes that is certainly true.

	However, it would be perfectly legal to have multiple PTR records
per IP address, and that could make things really nasty.

>                                       As for RFC 1918 or not-yet-assigned
>  ranges, I don't think we can rule those out, since the poster didn't specify
>  that this was an Internet zone -- internally folks might use RFC 1918
>  addresses and/or addresses from not-yet-assigned ranges.

	Considering that he said that zone transfer didn't work, I think
we can safely assume that he probably doesn't have to worry about RFC
1918 addresses.

>                                                            I think
>you're right
>  about Class D, though...

	And thinking about it again, simply generating all possible IP
addresses within the specified range is probably more along the lines
of what he was thinking about.

	But, what if there were multiple IP address ranges (for the
various names in the particular zone), some of which he may not even
know?  What if some of those names are not CNAME records, but are
also not the true canonical name for the machine in question (i.e.,
you have multiple names resolving to the same IP address, but not
through CNAME chains)?

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */