A complete block?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 1 23:00:10 UTC 2001

Randall Badilla wrote:

> Dear users:
> I'm trying to make a named.conf which let me resolv for the complete block
> of address 192.168.X.X.
> *****************
> On my named.conf I have this:
> zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
>                 type master;
>                 file "mydomain.rev.interno";
>         };
> ******************
> The mydomain.rev.interno file contains:
> @               IN      SOA     xxxxxxxxx. root.xxxxxxxxx.
> (
>                         2001051706      ; Serial Number
>                         10800           ; Refresh
>                         7200            ; Retry
>                         604800          ; Expire
>                         86400           ; ttl
>                 )
>
>                         IN      NS      xxxxxxx.
> ;
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/X.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.
> $INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/.

What is "$INCLUDE /var/named/Interno/." intended to accomplish? Looks like
you're trying to $INCLUDE a Unix directory into your zone file. Not a file
*in* that directory, mind you, but the directory *itself*. That's not going
to work. A Unix directory is basically binary data and named isn't going to
be able to parse it sanely as a resource record.

Why don't you just put all of the PTR records directly into the
168.192.in-addr.arpa zone file? I'm not sure what the point is of all those
$INCLUDEs...

- Kevin